Andrew Hart Adler
The path of Andrew Hart Adler from the shores of the United States to the foot of Africa has been anything but straightforward.
Born in New York City, Adler moved as a young child to London, where his mother sent him to an academy of art from the age of seven. With the death of their mother, his brother Christopher and he returned to the USA to live with their father, Broadway composer Richard Adler.
After completing his studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Adler became the assistant to Willem de Kooning for two years. A summer in Paris turned into fifteen years. Then six years in Munich were followed by eight years in the south of France, with a period in Costa Rica, before a return to New York City and Sag Harbor. Adler has been driven by restlessness and rootlessness from place to place, always considering his studio his home.
His artworks have been exhibited even more widely – across the USA and Europe, alongside Masters like Picasso, Matisse, Chagall, Pollock and de Kooning.
His second passion in life – rowing – brought him to Cape Town for the first time in 1987 for a few short weeks. He relocated here permanently a number of years later, setting up his studio in industrial Woodstock.
- 1973 BA University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2016 Aqua, 99 Loop, Cape Town
- 2015 Emergence, 99 Loop, Cape Town
- 2014 Light Whisperer, Res Gallery, Johannesburg
- 2012 Arthur Kalaher Gallery, Southampton, New York
- 2010 Village Smith Galleries, Winston-Salem, NC
- 2008 Gallery Mark Hachem, New York City
- 2007 Hampton Road Gallery, Southampton, NY
- 2006 LTMH Gallery, New York
- 2004 Hampton Road Gallery, Southampton, NY
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2016 Cape Town Art Fair with 99 Loop, Cape Town
- 2015 Cape of Good Hope, 99 Loop, Cape Town
- 2015 Turbine Art Fair with 99 Loop, Johannesburg
- 2013 David Krut Project, Cape Town
- 2011 Gerald Peters Gallery, New York, New York: Hamptons – Then and Now
- 2010 Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 2006 Leila Taghinia-Milani Heller Gallery, New York: Artist of the Hamptons (Pollock, De Kooning, Lichtnstein, Fischer)
- 2006 Leila Taghinia-Milani Heller Gallery, New York: The Nude Exposed. (Chagall, Picasso, Matisse etc.)
- 2006 Leila Taghinia-Milani Heller Gallery, New York: Black and White (Chagall, De Kooning, Leger, Matisse, Picasso)
- 2005 Remy Toledo Gallery, New York: Then and Now (De Kooning, Rivers, Chamberlain etc.)
- 2004 Leila Taghinia-Milani Heller Gallery, New York
- 2003-1975 Musée Carnavalése, Menton, Art Cologne (Ludorff), Galerie Leidel, Munich, Galerie Koch, Hannover, Galerie Woeller-Paquet, Frankfurt, Galerie Schwartzkopf, Wüppertal, Galerie Ludorif, Düsseldorf, Chicago Art Fair, (Leinster), Los Angeles Art Fair (Leinster), Salon de Montrouge, Musée d’Art Moderne, Paris, Salon des Grands et Jeunes, Paris, Vivante Tapisserie Française, Grand Palais, Paris, Parrish Art Museum, Southhampton, N.Y.