Chris Valentine is an artist & illustrator from Johannesburg. His interest in image making began at a young age, with obsessive sketches of Asterix & Obelix, comic book superheroes and with the making of action figures from paper, cardboard and whatever else he could find.
After matric, Valentine worked as a graphic design intern, producing branding material, album covers and artwork, leading to his decision to go freelance in 2010. Valentine built up a supportive client base, eventually persuading certain clients to allow him to integrate illustration into their branding.
This freedom allowed Valentine to focus more on his fine art, which explores classical and contemporary painting through the lens of urban culture. Valentine is establishing a solid following for his bold portraits through which he questions the formation of identity in the age of the internet.
- Cape Town Art Fair - 99 Loop, Cape Town
- B L I S S, solo - 99 Loop, Cape Town
- Imprint/Blueprint with Stefan Smit - 99 Loop, Cape Town
- Illustrator’s show – Kalashnikov Gallery, Johannesburg
- Lyle & Scott exhibition – MOMO Gallery, Johannesburg
- Group show – Glyph Gallery
- SMEG exhibition – Museum of Modern Art, Johannesburg
- Red Bull exhibition – Braamfontein private space, Johannebsurg
- Bondage Group Show – Spasie Gallery, Cape Town
- Animation Show – WITS University
- Group Show – Rust en Vrede Gallery, Cape Town
- Illustrator’s Show (Alexander’s Band) – Design Indaba
- Rotary Exhibition – Hyde Park Corner
- Designers Against Child Slavery Exhibition – New York & South Carolina
- Bridgestone Campaign Launch – Arts on Main, Johannesburg